Monday 22 July 2013

The Dark

Written by Lemony Snicket,
illustrated by Jon Klassen,
published by Orchard Books 2013.

What do you do when you are frightened?
Pretend it is not there or wait for help? Not Lazlo.

Lazlo lives with the dark, but he is scared.
What does he do ?
He gets out his torch, and dares to go where the dark is.

He faces the dark, he talks with the dark, and he is no longer afraid.


Year 5 tell me this is a story about conquering your fears.
Whenever I take a picture book out of my bag, they kindly smile at me as if to say "she doesn't realise how old we are.'


Yet as I begin to read, there is not a sound, not a whisper... just enchantment.

Why would you write about this  Lemony Snicket ?
Now, Jon Klassen why did you get involved in illustrating such a story?

Go on, just ask them:
http://www.bookish.com/articles/lemony-snicket-and-jon-klassen-on-going-dark

No comments:

Post a Comment