Thursday 13 June 2013

Here I go .....

It has taken me months ( in fact years) to get started with my first blog. I spent most of my time worrying that I had nothing much to say.

A wise friend told me that I should share what I feel most passionate
about in my day to day work. I am a primary school teacher, 
and I am truly passionate about picture books and reading -out -aloud
to children. ( In all honesty, sometimes I don’t even need children,
 I just read - out - aloud).

The passion was reignited a few weeks ago, sitting amongst a group of teachers on a Saturday morning (yes, a Saturday morning.) We were all  listening to and loving the work of two passionate people : one a teacher and now proud and enthusiastic owner of a bookshop and a remarkably talented author (more about them both another time). As I sat there listening, I kept saying to myself “Why hadn't I taken time to read all these wonderful books?"

I want this blog to be a place where that love of picture books can be shared. So join me whenever you are able.
No expectations, just pop in whenever you can.Tell a story. Share a title. Shed a tear, or laugh out loud. You are in good company. 

OK. I had better start:

I have been captivated by a beautiful book written by Margaret Wild and illustrated by Freya Blackwood. (Penguin 2013)

 The Treasure Box 
Margaret Wild and Freya Blackwood
It is called The Treasure Box, and tells the story of  a little boy
Peter, who loses everything that is precious in his life – well,
almost everything.
As life changes around him, he carries with him a small iron box, until he can carry it no longer….


It is a story of the power of words, and resilience that a little boy  builds over his lifetime.


I read it to Year 5 today, and there was not a sound in the room
(until I closed the book). 




2 comments:

  1. Silence speaks a thousand words....so glad that you have started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this first blog post Maria as it is about a book that I love. When I read this book with my nieces I asked them some questions. For example:
    - What is the most important book on your bookcase? Why?
    - If you could save one book from a burning library what would it be?
    - “People caught the words and cupped them in their hands”- What is your favourite word? Why?
    - Why do you think an enemy would bomb a library during war?
    The discussion we had was wonderful. I can see now why you want this blog to reflect the values and life lessons that can be learnt through picture books.
    What a fabulous blog idea. Congratulations.
    Sarah Forgan

    ReplyDelete